Roundwood is ideally situated in the heart of Ireland in Co. Laois – nestling at the foot of the Slieve Bloom Mountains – the most unspoilt range in Ireland . It is just one hour and fifteen minutes from the centre of Dublin and a perfect base for touring the rest of the midlands. Detailed directions to Roundwood House from Dublin City and Dublin Airport can be found at the bottom of the page. If you’re coming from elsewhere you can use Google Maps below or give us a call and we’ll be happy to help with directions.
Location N 53.02922 W 7.52359
- Slieve Bloom Way , a seventy kilometre mountain walk. There are also many shorter walks ideally suited to the less experienced walker – within 5 kilometres www.slievebloom.ie
- Lough Boora, a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts, recently described by the Irish Times as “the worlds most interesting and wonderful contemporary sculpture gardens” – 25 kilometres www.loughbooraparklands.com
- Birr Castle Gardens, with their world famous arboretum and science centre – 30 kilometreswww.birrcastle.com
- Emo Court and Gardens, a great example of a neo-classical house designed by architect James Gandon, best known for his great public buildings, including the Custom House and the Four Courts in Dublin – 30 kilometres www.emocourt.net
- Historic Kilkenny, with its Design Centre and beautiful castle – 60 kilometreswww.kilkennydesign.com & www.kilkennycastle.ie
- Clonmacnoise, site of the great monastic settlement on the banks of the Shannon – 60 kilometres www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/clonmacnoise
There are many other fine gardens, great houses and historic sites in the local area.